Friday, September 18, 2020

Thursday at Midnight

 My life has been like a soap opera for the past five months.  One thing after the other and that doesn’t even include the pandemic.    Spyderman, the Siamese cat who lost his meow came to live with us in April or May.  I ‘ve lost track of time.  At about 14 years old, he’d never been outside.  Over the summer, he got time in our yard and enjoyed laying in the shade of the orange trees.  He seemed to be losing weight, but our vet said that older cats often did that.

He got sick enough probably a month ago now that we took him to the emergency vet.  They treated his upset stomach and he stopped throwing up.  We took him to our regular vet and they gave him a blood test and everything came back fine.

But he just wasn’t eating much.  He kept losing weight and then eating less and less.  But he was always sweet and affectionate so we kept thinking that if he ate some more all would be well.

By Sunday, he was clearly not doing well, yet he was happy being held and stroked.  He was so light, he was like a skeleton with fur.  He didn’t seem in any discomfort, he just stopped eating.  

Last night, he seemed so frail, yet he came into the room where I was watching television and I held him in my lap.  But an hour or so later, my son said he seemed to be having trouble breathing.  I held him in my lap as  we went to the emergency vet.  There was no question that it was time to say good bye.  It was a lonely time of night.  Ventura Boulevard had barely any traffic.  The vet parking lot was empty.  With the pandemic you can’t go inside and they come and take your pet.  Except when it’s the end.  They will let you come in and sit with your pet if you choose. He was really my son’s cat and I think it was too much for him to go through it.  I had made a secret deal with Spyderman and told him that I was would care for him and hold him until he crossed the rainbow bridge.  And so I did.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. I went through something similar after I adopted an older cat. In time, the good memories will return.

Linda Osborn said...

I am so sorry. Losing a pet is a real fear of mine. We have had many animals over the years, and only one actually had to be taken to the vet at the end--my husband had to do it. We were fortunate, like you, that none were in pain and simply finally went to sleep at home. My two cats right now are 8, purchased for me before my husband passed away. I certainly hope to outlive them, but if I don't my oldest daughter will take them. She loves pets, but I am still really concerned about their welfare. They are truly family. My thoughts are with you.

Betty Hechtman said...

Anonymous, thank you. It is all part of having pets. I feel good that he was loved and cared for up until the last second of his life.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, my chief concern is that they don't suffer. All of our pets have been family, too. When my son was born we had three dogs and two cats and when he would wake up in the middle of the night, they would bark and meow and it was like who do I take care of first. It's good that you have a backup plan or your cats,just in case. Thank you for your kind thoughts.

chkntza said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. My friend's cat is 13 and also feels like a sack of bones in fur. She eats and runs and plays but every time I pick her up I worry. She is so light. I hope I will be as strong as you are.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, as long as the cat is running and playing, it's probably okay My vet said that sometimes older cats lose a lot of weight and then stabilize. We've had 14 pets over the years that I've had to say goodbye to. It's always tough, but what comes before makes it worth it.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I am so, so sorry, Betty. It is so hard to lose a pet--a family member. Hugs.

Betty Hechtman said...

Thank you, Linda. I know you've been in the same spot.