Friday, November 13, 2020

Finding a Needle in a Haystack

 


The Internet is amazing.  I was looking for a visual for character in the second writer for hire book and one of the actors I’d seen on a Hallmark Christmas movie seemed perfect.  I didn’t exactly watch the movie.  I live the TV on at night.  A friend of mine said it’s like an electronic campfire.  I used to have CNN on, but it gave me bad dreams. So, I turned to the Hallmark Channel.  Most of the time they have old comedies on at night, but now it’s all Christmas movies.

They are definitely nice to fall asleep to.  It’s everything we all wish things were like.  But I digress.  I didn’t know the name of the movie other than it had Christmas in it. LOL, they all do. Since I always fall asleep and even if I wake up it’s only a for a few minutes, I never see a whole movie so all I knew about this  movie was that a woman was driving to a wedding and got stranded in an adorable town.  So, I typed that in and hit enter.  A moment later it came up on the screen.  I’ve already forgotten the title again.  It might be I Love Christmas.

And there was the guy I was looking for.  I based the character in my book on a cop that answered a call to our house.  Someone had driven by and shot something (probably a bb gun) into our very large picture window, shattering it.  Two cops came.  One of them did most of the talking and was pretty friendly.  The other one hung back and was cold and distant.  He was nice looking but had a totally blank expression and no bedside manner.  I knew he couldn’t possibly really be like that inside.  And Ben, the character in my book turns out not to be.

The guy in the Hallmark movie looks sort of like how I remember that cop looking so now I have something to reference.

The Internet comes in handy when I start to write a phrase and then suddenly wonder if I’m right about the meaning.  Also good for looking up words you don’t quite know how to spell.  I like using a paper dictionary, but it doesn’t work that well when you have the second letter of the word wrong.

My phone has become my companion when I use the Cubii.  All I have to do is type in a song and a video appears.  I so love playing all that music that I often don’t want to stop pushing the pedals.  It’s like, just one more song and I’ll stop.

What did we ever do without it?

Just a reminder - the e-edition of On the Hook is $1.99 on Amazon for all of November.

5 comments:

Miss Merry said...

We had to upgrade our cable package for better internet so that we can help with virtual schooling of grandchildren. This is my first year for those Hallmark movies. So many have the exact same plot, sometimes I think I am re-watching one and it is a different version. And sometimes I think it is a new movie until it gets to a point where I remember it. But it is a great channel for those of us who need a nightlight LOL.

Betty Hechtman said...

Miss Merry, I know what you mean about the Hallmark movie all being similar. Since it is my "nightlight" I only see bits and pieces of the movies. I never worry about missing the endings since I already know what will happen. With the Christmas movies, it will always end with it snowing very large snowflakes.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Congrats on figuring out the character you were looking for, Betty. I've been watching Hallmark Christmas movies a lot more this year than I usually do, too, just to relax. And I know what you mean about the Internet. It still feels amazing to me that, whatever comes to my mind that I need further explanation about or confirming how to spell a word--nearly everything--it can be found fairly easily on my computer or my phone.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, It is refreshing to see all the nice people in the Hallmark movies.

Wyld Club said...

I typed that in and hit enter. A moment later it came up on the screen. I’ve already forgotten the title again. It might be I Love Christmas. But thanks for sharing your informational blog.
Wyld nightclub guest list