Friday, November 27, 2020

Not the Usual Thanksgiving

 I’m sure I’m not the only one thinking about how different Thanksgiving is this year compared to last. There was no way to know that the carefree manner we had when we went to our usual Thanksgiving spot was going to disappear.

And no way for me to know that when I called my brother to wish him a happy Thanksgiving, it would be the last time.  We always had a similar conversation.  I asked him if he was doing anything special and he said he wasn’t.  Basically, it was just Thursday to him.  I’d tell him we were going to Duke’s in Malibu where we’d watch the sun sink into the Pacific as we feasted on their take on Thanksgiving food.  Duke’s is from Hawaii which meant they put coconut in the sweet potatoes and had an appetizer of poke.  For those not familiar poke is raw fish marinated in a spicy sauce.  As a vegetarian, I never partook, but my family thought it was a big treat.

I always felt a little sad that my brother was across the country and couldn’t join us.  

Los Angeles County banned all dine in options as of Wednesday night at 10 p.m., so there’s no Duke’s this year for any of us.  There’s a cold Santa Ana wind blowing spewing the bad kind of ions. With the low humidity, there is a worry about wildfires.  In some places, the power will be shut off to prevent electrical equipment for causing a spark that could start a fire.  Not us, but family members.

To add to the difference this year, we are just starting to have our garage made into a room.  The work started on Wednesday and the contents of the former contents of the garage is all over everywhere.  The plan was to have dinner outside on the umbrella table, but it’s covered with garage stuff and besides with the wind, the food would probably blow off the plates.  So, it’ll be dinner on folding tables.  Those sort of details don’t really matter with all that is going on.  

It makes me wonder what next Thanksgiving will be like.

4 comments:

Linda Osborn said...

Holidays are so full of memories--mostly good, thankfully. We had a big dinner the night before at my son's home, having people from both sides of the families. We have all reached the point that we did not wear masks or worry about distancing. We have decided to live as normally as possible.
It is hard, but pick-up food and deliveries will have to do. On Sunday {last} we went to Knotts Berry Farm for chicken dinner in a tent, not knowing that would be our last restaurant for a while. There were several beautiful {but not too bright} chickens walking around our feet, begging for bits of salad ! Life goes on !!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, your Thanksgiving sounds nice. Being with family is the best. Knott's Berry Farm has the best food. Their fried tofu is a chicken substitute for vegetarians like me. I didn't realize Orange County was shutting down dine in as well. I feel so bad for the restaurant owners and all the people who work for them. I personally think the shut down is unnecessary.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I'm wondering about next Thanksgiving, too, Betty. I hope we're all as back to normal as possible.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I don't think we'll ever take Thanksgiving get together for granted ever again.