Friday, December 18, 2020


 

 A relative of my husbands has been sending around family photos.  What a surprise when he sent two photos of my wedding.  A very nice surprise because we actually have very few photos and the ones we do have are color and are fading.

I have never been much for weddings and I would have been fine with not having one, but my mother talked me into it. We had a budget of $300 and while that was early 1970, it still wasn’t much.

The invitations were post cards, I made my dress and my mother’s dress.  The reception was at our apartment.  We ordered a wedding cake from a favorite bakery of mine.  As for the food.  A former neighbor of ours had a restaurant.  We paid for the cost of the food, but the preparation and delivery was a gift.  My brother made lasagna and made some kind of vodka punch.  We cashed some wedding checks and bought champagne for a toast.  As for flowers, my maid of honor’s boyfriend had been a florist.  He went to the grocery store and bought $5 worth of flowers (remember it was a long time ago) and made my bouquet, and boutonnieres.

Another former neighbor took the few photos that we have.  My father convinced another neighbor who I didn’t even know to come up and play his guitar.

We didn’t think many people would show up, but it seemed like everybody came.   That was Saturday night and on Sunday we both graduated from college.  It was the time when that song “We’ve Only Just Begun” was popular and very appropriate.


 

6 comments:

Linda Osborn said...

What a delight to find old pictures like those ! You both look so young--hard to believe you were graduating college the next day ! It's fun to have all the memories about the preparations and the day come rushing back. I have similar ones--low budget, made my own dress, a lot of food made by my mothers friends. I do have an album {also donated by friends} and these memories are treasures. We were married in 1965, and had 48 1/2 years before my husband passsed away in 2013. Treasure every moment !

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I've noticed a lot of people posting wedding photos on Facebook. They are always interesting. This is definitely a treasure every moment time.

chkntza said...

I love this story. Thank you for sharing.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, I'm glad you liked it. In the end I was happy with it since it felt authentic.

Anonymous said...

A lovely story - thanks so much for sharing.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Sounds like it was a charming and delightful wedding. So fun to reminisce!