Friday, December 25, 2020

Zoom Zoom

 I’m a little behind the times.  Everybody else has been doing a lot of Zooming since the pandemic began, but I just attended my first Zoom event.  It was my grandson’s fourth birthday.  It was better than I expected, but nothing like an in person event.

Jakey was fine with it, but then he’s gotten used to Zoom play dates and visiting via Facetime. He spent the whole time playing with his new toys and eating his birthday cake anyway  One thing I did notice is that with Zoom and Facetime it’s all about your backdrop and lighting, which made me think of ONE FOR THE HOOKS, the next Crochet Mystery.  One of the character is a set designer who keeps her time full between studio gigs by doing related things.  One thing she does now is to design backdrops for people doing business meetings by Zoom or something like it.

I just got the copy edit on that manuscript and thanks to what I saw on the Zoom birthday party want to adjust how I describe what she does with the background.  I realized that my lighting was very bad compared to one of the other guests.  I was in front of a big window that looks out on the backyard The glare coming in the window apparently made me look like a ghost.  Also the angle wasn’t great either.  The person who looked good had front lighting, a dimmed background and the angle seemed to be a bit from above.  

I plan to adjust what my character does to help her clients, and to adjust my setting before I do any more Zoom stuff.  
 
It doesn’t feel like Christmas for me and probably for a lot of people.  Instead of wishing people of joyish season of getting together with their loved ones, the message is don’t.

My Christmas is going to be spent working.  I have overlapping deadlines for WRITING A WRONG and the just received copy edit of ONE FOR THE HOOKS.  The books are with different publishers.   With the way things are right now, I am just as happy to ignore the holidays and I enjoy working on the books even with pressure of the deadlines.  And we’ll probably get in a Facetime with the family.  Our tradition is Indian food for Christmas from our favorite local restaurant.  


4 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

It's fun to see the kinds of things that inspire our writing, and modifications to what we've written. Zoom and I get along only moderately though I mostly enjoy the sessions I attend. Good luck with your edits and dinner, and Merry Christmas, Betty!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, Merry Christmas. I hope that next year at this time, we'll be meeting everyone in person. Zoom is okay, but not the same as breathing the same air.

Sally Morrison said...

Merry Christmas. I just reserved your latest book. Looking forward to it. I hope the New Year is better all around. Keeping the faith.

Betty Hechtman said...

Thank you, Sally. I am looking forward to the new year, too. I hope it is filled with good surprises, unlike this year that was filled with the bad kind.