Friday, March 19, 2021

Almost Spring

 Something about the light makes me feel happy.  The way the blossoms on the orange trees are about to bust open and spread their wondrous fragrance makes me feel hopeful. The grass in the backyard is the bright green of spring.

I feel like I am finally being released from the suspended animation since the beginning of December when everything shut down around here. It was like hibernation with my mind numbing without me even realizing it.  Going through the motions with a flat feeling.

Now that spring is almost here  and things are opening up again, it feels like life is restarting.  I had my shots and I’m good to go. But there is an inertia, like I have to build up steam to go out in the world without dragging my feet.

But in the meantime there is still lots going on.  The saga of the washing machine has a wonderful ending. I am thrilled with how much stuff I moved to free up the path for delivery or  put in the giveway bag.  There’s lots more to do, but I made a dent.  

What with smart phones and texting, getting something delivered has changed.  I got texts telling me the washing machine was on its way and a two hour window when it would be delivered.  Finally, I got a call that it would be there in the next five minutes. I was worried about some problem getting the old one out and the new one in despite all my efforts.  But it couldn’t have been easier.  The two men came in, moved the old one and then lifted the monster, pedestal and all and carried it out.  Then they carried in the new one, attached the hoses, put it on to make sure it worked and gave me something to sign.  After they left, I got a text with photos to show proof of delivery.  And just like that I had a new washing machine that worked.

At the same time,  I’m dealing with getting work done on my brother’s place. It’s amazing what you can do remotely now with photos and phone calls.  Though I want to go there and see all in person.

I got the copy edit back for WRITING A WRONG with a March 30 deadline which I think I can meet.  I am working on BUT KNOT FOR ME, the eighth Yarn Retreat mystery and enjoying doing the research.   I just accepted an offer for two more Writer for Hire mysteries and am already beginning research on one of them with a zoom walking tour of my Chicago neighborhood.  ON THE HOOK and HOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING are both going to be $1.99 Kindle deals for April.  And I’m working on a proposal for something else.

I’m looking forward to at trip to Disney World in April.  It’s a combo belated birthday trip for my son and a celebration of my birthday, only a few days after. I haven’t traveled since November after normally being on a plane to somewhere every couple of months.  I feel like I have to re-awaken my travel habits.

And a day in the life of Veronica Blackstone is chronicled on DRUS MUSINGS today https://wp.me/p9nmDY-eBJ

6 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Wow, do you sound busy, Betty. It'll be quite a spring for you. Glad things worked out with your washing machine and your working remotely on your brother's place. And then there's your writing. I'll bet a break from all that by visiting Disney World will be most welcome!

Linda Osborn said...

It seems forever since you have had a new book out, I am really looking forward to the new ones coming. {not Kindle for me} Working remotely on the home repairs sounds great, but I'm sure it would be a good idea to check in on things in person now and then. I love to watch the home makeovers on cable tv, many nights things can be pretty boring on regular programming ! I have always suspected Molly lives in your home. It sounds large and ideal for both of you !

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda O. Johnston, And just when I think I'm done... I know you are enjoy baths so you'll understand. I had our plumber here yesterday to look at the leaky bathtub faucet. He was able to tighten it so it stopped before, but now really needs to be replace. The access to the other side of the pipes is in my closet right where I have been piling boxes of books. Now I have move them out of there at least temporarily. I suppose it could be considered exercise.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda Osborn, it has been awhile for the crochet and yarn retreat series. One for the Hooks comes out in August and I imagine But Know for Me will come out in the fall. I think the second writer for hire book comes in the fall, too.

I agree about having eyes on things and am anxious to get to North Carolina to see what's going on. The good thing that with cell phone photos and all, I have at least seen pictures of the work.

I have gotten so used to not traveling that I have to gear myself up for it. I read a long article this morning that made it sound like it's pandemic brain and a lot of people are in the same boat-- not just about traveling but doing normal activities.

Molly's version of my house is a lot neater and less full of stuff. We've lived here for 30 years. You can imagine that means a lot of stuff. It needs some work, but I love it. But then I have loved wherever I live. It's something about being my home.

chkntza said...

Congratulations on your new washing machine! I had a leaky bathroom sink faucet too. I had to have it replaced and since I have two sinks in the bathroom I had to buy two new faucets because of course, they don't make the same faucet anymore.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, I guess leaky faucets are a fact of life. Sorry you had to replace both. It's crazy how stuff gets discontinued. And styles change. Even in washers. The front loaders were a big deal when I got the one I just replaced. Now it's mostly back to top loaders.