Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Superstition and Pandemic Strangeness

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone. Is it a lucky day? Maybe. I once wrote Superstition Mysteries, and my characters might have considered it lucky.

 But today, my superstition is more that if things can go wrong, they will, at least to some extent. Some of it is caused by the COVID pandemic, but not in anticipated ways.

 For one thing, just communicating with people these days can be a challenge. For example, my older dog has always had some health issues, and now she is 13. I wanted to talk to her usual vet about the results of a couple of different medical tests she took recently, one he wanted done and the other the result of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniels local club having a medical day. I received a phone call back from him and all is going well, but when I didn't hear from him at first I realized that I couldn't communicate with him any better by scheduling Mystie for a visit, since we rarely see the vets on visits now but communicate by--you guessed it. Phone calls.

And then I tried to contact the vet who did the heart exam thanks to the Cavalier Club, to get his final report. Nothing seemed too bad but all Cavaliers get heart issues and I want to make sure Mystie's regular vet got that report. But I was on hold on the phone for over ten minutes, listening to a recording that apologized for the wait time, and blamed it on the pandemic--and then the call got cut off. I called back and pushed a different button to try to speak to someone sooner, and that did work, plus I sent an email. And yes, I've received the report, and a copy was sent to Mystie's regular vet. Maybe I worried too much, but I was concerned about communication, partly because of the pandemic. And of course I was concerned about Mystie.

Nothing against the vets, btw. I'm not blaming them for being overloaded. They're doing a good  job.

 But being me, I've been thinking of how I could use some of this in a story. But would I want to write it? And if I did, would anyone want to read it?

 Maybe I'll continue to act as if all's normal in my writing.

 Maybe.

 Meantime, I'm hugging Mystie and Cari and taking good care of both of them. And definitely communicating with them.

6 comments:

Miss Merry said...

Hopefully by the time all the books that will incorporate the pandemic in the plots are published, it will just be a memory of what we are doing right now !

Linda O. Johnston said...

I definitely hope so, Miss Merry!

Sally Morrison said...

I agree Linda, it is hard to communicate these days. Phone calls and texts seem to be the mode of communication. I hope this passes as well as masks and someday we actually speak to one another and see faces again.

Have a wonderful week.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I hope so too, Sally. It wouldn't be so bad if we could reach people faster with calls and texts, but I'm getting tired of being placed on hold, and texts aren't always answered quickly either. But I actually saw a long-time friend at my socially distanced and masked exercise program today who had gotten both her vaccines!

You have a wonderful week, too.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I'm glad your dogs are okay. Dealing with vets in person is a challenge right now.

I haven't incorporated the pandemic in anything I'm working on since I view my books as an escape for readers and me.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Thanks, Betty. I like our vets but dealing with them is a challenge right now.

And I like your attitude about the pandemic. Writing is an escape from it, so it's probably best for readers not to be reminded of it, too.