Friday, May 28, 2021

Going to the Beach

 On our final day in North Carolina we took a road trip to see the Atlantic and maybe stick a toe in. I was looking forward to the ride and seeing the countryside as we drove, but there was almost no view of the area surrounding the highway.  Just trees, and very tall trees at that, flanked the road.  North Carolina seems to be loaded with trees in all different shades of green.  My brother’s place has a mini forest right behind it.

We made a brief stop in Wilmington and got a view of the Cape Fear River and a WWII battleship. If we’d had more time, it would have been nice to tour some of the old buildings. There’s always next time.

From there we headed to the most  accessible beach town, Wrightsville Beach.   We passed over the Intracoastal Waterway on the way there.  Ever since I first heard about it, I was curious what it was like.  In case you’re unfamiliar, it’s an inland waterway made up of natural rivers and such combined with some man-made canals that stretches from Boston to somewhere in Texas.  To be honest, it just looked like a wide river with a lot of boats.

Wrightsville Beach is is on a strip of land surrounded by inlets of water. We walked through the small town on the way to the beach.  It had a real tourist vibe and I guessed most of the people on the street were from somewhere else, though probably not from as far away as us.

As soon as we got on the sand, I started to see how different it was than the beach in Malibu that we usually go to.  It was warmer, moister and the sky looked totally different.  It was mottled with clouds.  The water was a different color, too.  I saw this amazing thing online recently where the Pacific and Atlantic meet below South America.  The amazing thing is that they don’t mix water, but there is actually a very visible line where one ends and the other begins because the water of each is a different color than the other.

I found a bench to sit on and my son went off walking.  My natural thing is to watch people. It was definitely a different crowd than in Malibu.  The Malibu crowd always feels like they’re “look-at-me” people.  Wrightville Beach had more families and a lot more people of color.  It was late in the day and people were beginning to pack up and leave and since I was sitting right by the entrance to the beach, they all went past me.  All of a sudden I saw this woman with a soft pear shaped body, a mane of wild curls and vibrant smile.  As I watched her, I realized that was how I wanted one of the characters in the manuscript I’m working on to look.  

I rummaged through my purse for a little notebook I had.  It has some drawings and notes in it and spans a long period of time.  I pulled out a pen and started to take notes on that woman and other people I’d seen.

I was deep in what I was doing and a man came up to me and asked me what I was writing.  When I told him, his face brightened and he said that he was a writer, too.  He wrote music, poetry and affirmations.  He was very friendly and offered me a bounty of blessings before introducing himself as Jermere.

The beach was almost empty when my son finally returned.  We walked back through the street full of shop, loading up on T-shirts to bring back.  We grabbed some dinner at burger stand that turned out to have delicious food.  They had funnel cake fries.  No potatoes, just funnel cakes shaped like french fries. Too good!  Thank heavens they didn’t post the calories.

It was getting dark when we started the drive back.  The sky had a soft pastel look as we passed by elegant looking houses.  Once we were back on the highway it was super dark with all those trees on either side of the road.  No street lights either.

And then it was time to grab a few hours of sleep before we went to the airport for our 6:00 a.m. flight home.

4 comments:

Linda Osborn said...

The perfect tourist kind of day. I loved our travels, nice and slow, enjoying the scenery and the spirit of the people. Of course when the kids were young, we had to keep busy, looking for exciting things to do. We did every small museum we could find. There is a great one on barbed wire somewhere in New Mexico.
Old Faithful was lazy when we were there, and my Husband insisted on pulling over at every lookout at the Grand Canyon--that even got to me in short order !!
We do have such a wonderful country, and hopefully more people will be able to enjoy it this year.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, your road trips sound great. A barbed wire museum, how interesting. Now that things are opening up, I can't wait to take Jakey on a road trip. He's like my son and me and loves to go places.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Sounds like your beach visit was a lot of fun, Betty. And it also sounds fun that another writer said hi!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, it was great being out in the world again.