Friday, May 21, 2021

Surprise Reseach


 I can sympathize with my blog sister Linda dealing with the new version of Word.  My MacBook upgraded to a new operating system which changed everything.  I went to include a photo in this post and I couldn't find it.  I also couldn't find all the other photos that used to show up.  The thing I have never liked about the Mac was how it handles files.  I finally managed to import the  photo from my phone.

But you will not there is no photo because when I tried (numerous times) to add it, the photo listing that used to appear, doesn't anymore.  Who thinks this is an improvement.  Picture a bunch of plants with a sign that read:  POISON GARDEN.

I can only imagine what a mess it will be if I put a new version of Word on the MacBook.  I finally figured out where the things I use most are, I'd hate to have to start all over.

All complaining aside, I was wondering what I was going to write about this week.  I'm in North Carolina up to my ears in repair people.I did spend a little time working on my manuscript this morning which mostly consisted  of my solving a problem with a character.

The carpet and floor people were working today and there was nothing we could do at my brother's place.  We had passed a botanical garden and decided it would be a nice to explore.  The first surprise was no charge for parking or admittance.  It was a perfect day, warm, but not hot and also not humid.  I was loving "forest bathing," but there wasn't anything to write about until I saw a sign that said Poison Garden.     

Suddenly I was in my element.  Deadly plants.  The manuscript I'm working on has deadly mushrooms, so I was particularly interested to look around.  There were no mushrooms.  And there was nothing to give away that the plants were deadly.  Who would think that the delicate sweetly fragrant lily of valley plant was poisonous, but those pretty white flowers are.  There were daffodil plants as well.  Does Lenten Rose sound like something toxic to your digestive, respiratory and central nervous systems?  But it is.  The Stinging Needle does sound unpleasant, though it looks like a pine tree as a plant.  

They didn't have one, but I know that tasting an Angel's Trumpet could send you to spend time with the angels.  There were no Oleanders either, but all parts of those pretty flower covered bushes  are super deadly.

The poison garden was small and then it was back trees and flowers that didn't have a dark side.

5 comments:

Sally Morrison said...

That poison garden sounds so interesting. Kind of like life. Sometimes the poison in life looks so beautiful until you get too close. Yikes.

Thanks for posting.

chkntza said...

Every time apple updates something happens to my programs too. I just learn how to make the changes to do what I used to do and then they change. I usually find out how to work the new program with google or apple support is very helpful. I also learn a lot from Rich DeMuro. He's the tech guy on channel 5.

Betty Hechtman said...

Sally, I think I was most surprised about lily of the valley. I love the scent of the m and they are so delicate with the little white bell shaped flowers.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, the new operating system on my laptop keeps offering me a tour. Maybe it will explain something. I didn't like the way the MacBook handled folders before, now it seems even worse.

I go back and forth between a bunch of computers. I use a desktop pc with windows 7 on it, a laptop pc with windows 10 that I use just for accounting stuff and the MacBook when I travel. It's always a challenge using the version of Word on the MacBook. I also still use WordPerfect (only on the PCs, they don't have a version for Mac) I guess it keeps your mind sharp to keep adjusting to things. I'll check out Channel 5. Thanks.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Wow, that sounds like a strange but fascinating garden, Betty--a poison garden! Definitely interesting for research, and maybe to give you lots of new ideas, too.