Friday, July 16, 2021

I'm Not Alice in Wonderland

 It feels like I’ve been going down one rabbit hole after the other. It might have been an adventure for Alice, but not for me.  It started when I heard the my storage space on Dropbox was almost full.  I am still using Windows 7 on my desktop and between all the warning from Microsoft about security issues and my own worry that the computer will crash, I’ve been concerned about keeping the whole thing backed up. So when Dropbox offered a paid plan to keep everything on the cloud, I went for it.  Done, I thought but now I am getting emails about apps and need to install them on assorted devices.  It always takes longer than they make it sound.

In the midst of all this got a notice from Norton saying stuff wasn’t enabled on my computer. I heard recently that Microsoft has found some big hole in security and are supposed to send out patches to everyone, including people like me using Windows 7, but it hasn’t come yet, so I went ahead with the Norton stuff – after checking to make sure it wasn’t some kind of scam.

What I thought would take a few minutes and maybe tell me I needed to restart my computer, turned into all afternoon as it defraged my hard drive. I had been in the middle of writing when this happened and ended up taking a very long unexpected break.

I will say my computer is working better and I’m not worried about whether the backup passport thing works.

What looked like an email from American Express asking me to log in to verify some activity made me suspicious.  Instead of taking the login link provided, I took the long way and went to their site on a different computer and signed in.  My suspicions were correct, it was a fake email, hoping I’d take the quick way out so they could grab my information.

All these interruptions make me nuts.  I am pushing to finish BUT KNOT FOR ME and there has  been one thing and another hijacking my time.

The truth is that if I had to type my manuscript the old fashioned way on a typewriter, I might not have had the rabbit holes, but I cringe thinking of what it would be like.  One uncaught mistake and I might have to retype a bunch of pages and I am not a great typist.

For now, I made myself some coffee which I hope will reboot my brain and then it’s back to the manuscript. 

4 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Sounds to me like too much technical stuff! Enjoy your coffee, then get back to writing, or at least that's what I'd try to do if I were you, Betty.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, sounds like a good plan to me, too.

chkntza said...

I went through all that stuff about security when I had my old computer. I switched to apple because it is supposed to have the best security and I don't need Norton. I once spent all night downloading something from Norton. That drove me crazy. I'm so glad you checked with the bank. That was so smart. I don't trust any email from banks. I always call to check. I'm reading Behind the Seams and loving it. As you can see I'm way behind but I am catching up.

Betty Hechtman said...

chkntza, my laptop is a MacBook. I like something things about it, but not the way it handles files. Yesterday I wasted a lot of time trying to find a way to edit PDF files on the MacBook, while there is an easy upgrade to Adobe for my desktop PC. It is hard going back and forth between the two different systems, but a lot easier than the old days of DOS. We get so spoiled.

I don't trust any emails from banks. The most obvious is when they tell you there is a freeze on your account and its a bank you don't even deal with.

I'm glad you're enjoying Behind the Seams.