Friday, November 19, 2021

But Knot for Me


 

BUT KNOT FOR ME  came out on Tuesday.  It is hard to believe that it is my 25th book.  I remember when all I thought about was getting one book published.  I still come across the occasional rejection letter left from the past, though I finally threw most of them away a long time ago.  Why remind myself of being told no.

The one good thing about finding a rejection letter is that it reminds me that I didn’t let them make me give up.  There were successes along the way that helped keep me going.  Woman’s World published a number of my stories, I had an op ed piece in Woman’s Day.  There were some newspaper pieces and  a couple of screenplays that never got turned into films, but I got paid for one and won an award for another.

I heard myself introduced as an aspiring writer and I had a friend who joked my name was Betty Rejectman.  There was a literary agent I knew who sent me what he probably thought was a well- intentioned letter that said more or less than I should hang up my pen.

But still I persisted.  When my mother died, I had sort of a now or never moment about doing what I’d wanted to do for a long time.  Write a full length mystery.  It was the mid 90s and I wanted to be Jessica Fletcher.  It happened that a writing teacher I knew was holding a four week writers workshop at the local community college and it seemed like the perfect situation to start on that mystery.  At the time I belonged to a woman’s gym and had made a group of friends.  The gym was owned by a man who was not well liked and I put it all together and started writing.

When the workshop ended, the teacher continued it on at her house.  Having the feedback kept me going and I finished the manuscript just as she moved away.  Those of us left started our own group, helping each other.

Despite everyone liking the manuscript, it didn’t sell, but I got an agent.  It took a number of years and taking those characters and turning them into crocheters before I got the call from my agent that two publishers wanted the series.

And now I’m writing my 26th book, the third book in the Writer for Hire series.  There’s something else I want to work on when I have the time and there are more of the Yarn Retreat books write.  Certainly a lot more than the one book I’d hoped for.

 

4 comments:

chkntza said...

I'm grateful you didn't give up because I enjoy reading your books. They give me much pleasure.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, thank you. You made my day!

Linda O. Johnston said...

Congratulations on BUT NOT FOR ME and your 25th book, Betty! And I'm delighted too that you didn't give up. I'm sure there's a lot more to come!

Betty Hechtman said...

Thanks, Linda. It all seems pretty amazing now.