Friday, November 5, 2021

 


 I just send my webmaster the updates for my website.  BUT KNOT FOR ME comes out November 16.  I was hoping to have it updated before the author event for the American Association of University Woman I'm taking part in this Saturday, but life got in the way.

I wondered what Halloween was going to be like this year.  Last year, it was pretty clear trick or treating and everything else was cancelled. There was a debate at my house.  My husband was absolutely against handing out candy and wanted no part in it.  My son thought there would be trick or treaters, but the candy should be left on a table at the edge of the front porch.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do until about a week before when I decided to buy candy to give out.

My son set up the table on the porch and I brought out a chair wondering if many kids would show up.  I wore a mask and my Disneyland Halloween sweatshirt and went out to the chair. The candy on the table lasted for about two groups of kids.  They seemed confused and some of them took more than one candy, which I kind of expected.  So I pushed the table aside and moved  center stage holding a box filled with candy.  And then they came.  There were a lot of older kids who I really seemed to need to do something normal.  Lots of little kids and even a dog in costume.

My husband who had been so insistent he wasn't going to hand out candy kept coming out on the front porch and finally stayed. My son, his wife and son soon were out there, too and we all gave out candy.   As for the turnout.  I had about  300 pieces of candy, then my son brought out bags of candy he'd picked up at the last minute.  We went through all of that and finally were giving out snack bags of Pirates Booty and animal crackers.  And that was with between 6:30 and 8:00.  So, yeah, Halloween is back.

2 comments:

Linda O. Johnston said...

Looking forward to your post closer to November 16! And glad Halloween worked out for you this year. We never get trick-or-treaters here in L.A. so it's fun to go to an area where kids in costume abound.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I bet you had fun with your grandsons. Mine says Halloween is his favorite holiday.