Friday, December 10, 2021

December in Chicago

 I am in Chicago working on finishing  up MAKING IT WRITE.  The weather is always news in Chicago.  It was in the 40s when I got here, went down to 12 degrees one day, then started back up again to the 30s and the day this appears is supposed to be in the 50s with a lot of rain.  The crazy part is that when the temperature was the lowest outside, it was nice and toasty inside.  But as soon as it go a little warmer, the heat stopped coming on as often and I could feel cold air swirling through the place.

It's been mostly gloomy, but I have enjoyed looking out the window at the sky and coming up ways to describe it.  There's what I call the winter sky.  It's streaks of gunmetal gray with a lighter shade viewed through bare branches.  One day it was a little more cheerful and the cloud covered sky was letting in a little sunshine and it seemed like a half smile.  It gets dark so early here.  The sun sets at around 4:20 and gets dark really fast.  On the way, the sky turned a soft lavender and was filtered by all the trees branches out front.

The weather has made it easy to stay inside and hover over my computer.  There is a certain freedom of being here alone.  No obstacles to starting up, except me and no problem if I leave everything and just fall into bed.  Even so, I can only work so long before I have to back off a bit.  I find if I'm on the computer too close to going to bed, I have trouble sleeping.

So strange to travel now.  What are the rules about masks and such where you're going.  Packing lots of masks in case they ear things break.  Heaven forbid you sneeze ir cough in public. 

And at the same time, things are getting back to normal, though slightly changed.  I have seen advertisements for performances of The Nutcracker Suite.  Concerts are going again.  BTS played to huge crowds in L.A.last week.  I'm not sure what store Santas are doing.  Are they encased in plexiglass?

Completely unrelated.  I got the happy news that I have an audio deal for the next three Yarn Retreat books.  I celebrated by going the coffee shop across the street and having their homemade mushroom soup.

And now back to work since it's almost time to go home to the interruptions and drama.  Hopefully the peace I've had here will make it easier to deal with.

9 comments:

Miss Merry said...

I live in a small town between Toledo and Ohio. My county has record numbers of cases and no policies. I am usually the only person in a store or meeting with a mask. Our schools do not require masks. I see people standing close in long lines for unmasked Santa.

We attended a play in Toledo. Masks were required everywhere in the building. Friends attended a play in Cleveland. I saw the photos and there were no masks in public areas or in the theater or restaurants. I guess each event makes it's own rules.

Because of this, we are still staying home. We don't even go to church (no masks there either).

Linda D Osborn said...

The mask wars go on...not many here in Anaheim ! I did see a great sign on a restaurant: Please wear a mask
If you have had complete shots, no mask required
You do NOT have to show proof of shots
This was a professionally printed sign--do what ever you want, I guess

Sally Morrison said...

I miss Chicago in the Spring and Fall but the winters used to get to me. Day after day of gray skies. However, I will always consider Chicago my hometown. It is where my roots lie. Safe travels home.

Betty Hechtman said...

Miss Merry, that's eye opening. I am so used to see everyone with masks, I didn't realize there were places where people weren't wearing them. I can see why you'd be staying home.

Betty Hechtman said...

Sally, I see your point. In the week I've been here, I think there was one day with sun. The rest of the time variations on gray.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I am surprised about Anaheim. As I said to Miss Merry, I'm so used to seeing people with masks, I thought it was everywhere-- inside. Disneyland only requires them inside, which is fine with me. When I went to Disney World last March, it was masks inside and out.

Linda O. Johnston said...

They seemed to be easing off a bit on masks here in L.A. for a while, which didn't exactly make me comfortable. But sounds as if the rules are coming back.

guestpost said...

A Guest Post is a an article written and posted on someone else's blog. When you write something on your own blog its just a "post", but on someone else's blog the writer is a 'guest'. ... If you have found someone else's blog to blog on then you are the 'guest author'. Write for us on Technology

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this with so much of detailed information, its much more to learn from your article. Keep sharing such good stuff.
Games Write for Us Guest Post Submission are now Accepted – Are you a passionate gaming blog writer? Are you currently looking for a platform that you can use for posting up your guest posts? If yes, this post is going to serve you with the best. Creating a blog and adding some quality content is something that we do care about. If you have the skills then we are going to provide you the opportunities that can help you in driving more traffic towards your blog.