Friday, December 23, 2022

Getting Past the Pit

 Well, we got past it.  The shortest day/longest night of the year or what I consider the pit of the year.  Now, the days start getting longer again.  One day hardly makes a difference, but each day will bring a little more light.  This year the short days seemed to bother me more.

I realized it was the first year in a while when I wasn't ;rushing to finish a manuscript over the holidays.  I realize in a strange way I miss it.  I'd really like to give myself over to working on the next Molly book, and once I get past year-end tedious things to attend to, I will.  The other day I couldn't help myself and I started thinking about Molly and all the characters and what they have going on and the whole plot line came together.  I had a basic idea before, but I didn't know why certain characters did certain things.  I came up with their motivation.

I may even use my experience dealing with devil yarn in the book.  What is devil yarn?  You wouldn't know by looking at it.  It appears to be lovely mohair yarn.  That's what I though when I crocheted a scarf the long way with rows of the mohair yarn and then rows of another heavier yarn.  It ended up looking like two long stripes.  I decided to join the ends and make an infinity scarf.  Then the other day, it was chilly and I seemed to feel it most on my neck.   I hadn't worn it before, but it seemed like just what I needed. So, I wound the scarf around my neck enough times that it was close to my face.  It wasn't until later when I was sneezing and coughing that I remember working with the same yarn  on a plane and how I'd seen tiny fibers floating in the air.  Tiny fibers that this time got in my nose and throat. It's two days later and I'm still feeling the effects.  Now I know why that yarn was on closeout at the Tuesday Morning Store.

I have been  going through a lot of old yarn, trying to clear stuff out.  I have found skeins of yarn that have frayed strands of yarn thanks to  moths.  But not that yarn.  Apparently, the moths had more sense than me.

I am glad not to be traveling anywhere for the holidays.  Most of the celebrating will be around Jakey, particularly since his birthday is the day before Christmas Eve.  So, it's birthday cake and candy canes.

The lights and excitement will blot out that it is the darkest, coldest time of the year. I hope everyone has a happy holiday.

8 comments:

Patty said...

Good morning -- I woke up at 4 a.m. -- way earlier than usual, but couldn't get back to sleep so got up and have been crocheting. Started an afghan last night -- beautiful variegated shades of pink, peach and a peachy-yellow.

I just finished what I'm calling a "Christmas Miracle" afghan -- using a blue variegated yarn in the moss stitch. I'd had it bunched up on my lap as I was working and decided to spread it out to see how it looked. Much to my surprise, the variegated yarn had made a perfect panel of vertical stripes in a section about eight inches long, then back to the normal variegated pattern. I've never had variegated yarn do that before. Has to be a miracle!!

I'm looking forward to the next book about Molly and the Hookers -- they do feel like friends. I also like the patterns and recipes in each book -- made the Noodle Pudding -- yum. The pattern for CeeCee's baby blanket had me a bit confused -- the description said it was 27"x27" but the instructions said to crochet until the triangle reached 37." How does 10" disappear!! I finally figured out that was the diagonal measurement -- the C2C pattern I've used said to crochet until reaching the side length the finished blanket should be, then start decreasing.

Hope you're over your fuzz-induced problems, all your family is well, and Jakey has a very Happy Birthday!! Have the very Merriest Christmas!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Betty Hechtman said...

Patty, sorry about the confusion with the pattern. How cool that the variegated yarn worked out so well. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Linda O. Johnston said...

I never head of devil yarn before, Betty, but think I'll avoid it. Merry Christmas to you, Happy Birthday to Jakey, and keep on plotting--as I'm sure you will!

chkntza said...

Merry Christmas to you Betty and Happy Birthday to Jakey.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, Happy Holidays to you. I know you will keep on plotting. I have always admired how you keep on writing and publishing.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, Happy Holidays to you. Jakey is now officially six.

Sharon said...

Love, Love, Love your Molly books. I have read them all and am excited about the next
adventure. Happy Holidays to you and your family!