Friday, December 9, 2022

It's Out!





After two cancelled trips I finally made it to Chicago.  It has seemed like one long dreary day.  It's not cold by winter standards with temperatures in the low 40s, but it's been cold inside.  Gone are the days when the heat chugged away all the time.  It cycles off and on with a real lot of off and it gets cold fast.  You have to time showers during the heat on time or you don't want to leave the pouring hot water.  At least there is no water shortage here.

I came to meet with a contractor about remodeling the ancient bathroom.  The building is over 100 years old and the only thing I can say for sure is that all these fixtures were here when we moved in in in 1961.  The toilet was the start of the problem making it necessary to remodel, so it definitely goes.   I like the pedestal sink, but the stopper and pipes are pretty done for, so t will be replaced.  The clawfoot bathtub turns out to weight 400 pounds and I'm on the third floor, so it's going to be reglazed.  The funny thing is that apparently clawfoot tubs are back in style.  I will have the shower hardware redone and the plaster on the ceiling, which is over 100 years old is cracking and could fall, so it will be redone.  And the floor.  

It turns out winter is a good time to do it sa work is slow for the people who will do the work.  I'll have to be here to oversee.  Luckily there is another small bathroom I'll have to use while they smash away stuff and move the bathtub out of the room.  I have worked on manuscripts before with banging going on in the background or overhead, when we were getting a new roof.  Thankfully, I'm  not one of those people who requires silence.

Even though it seems that some people got KNOT A GAME early, the official release day was this past Tuesday.  I managed to get my website updated just in time.  It always takes a while to deal with all the details and my web guy had just gotten back from Greece and had jet lag.  I was dealing on my laptop which is a Mac and there are always some things that are a struggle like inserting photos.  It is so easy on my PC and so complicated on the Mac, but I did it.

The book is out in the world for sure now and it's time to think of other things.

9 comments:

Patty said...

Good morning -- Sounds like you have a big remodeling job -- I've done a couple -- usually a pain in the process but the end product is worthwhile.

I just saw a commercial for an OTC medicine called ColdEze -- a woman in the commercial made me think of Adele -- her outfit wasn't crocheted but had flowers and other ornamentation all over it. Adele could adapt it to crochet!!

I'm in the process of crocheting a sweater for my daughter's chihuahua. The first one I made was a bit too long -- it hung over his tail and made him look like an armadillo!! I was living in Texas at the time so my daughter said it was appropriate. Ha, ha.

Enjoy your week --

Patty

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty, I'll have to keep an eye out for the ColdEze ad. The chihuahua sweater sounds hilarious. I hope you enjoy your week, too.

Patty said...

Do you have another Tarzana Hookers crochet mystery book in the works?

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty, There will be another Crochet Mystery coming out next summer. I'm working on it now.

chkntza said...

I just ordered the new book and it should be coming soon.
I just finished On the Hook and I loved it. I also liked the crochet blanket and scarf.
Thank you for the great books.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Congrats on your official release date, Betty. And I don't envy you for having to remodel your bathroom, even though it sounds somewhat charming.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, I'm so glad you enjoyed On the Hook.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda O. Johnston, the bathroom should look classic when it's done. But I'm not looking forward to the process.

Patty said...

Hi Betty -- I just googled "ColdEze commercials" and the one I mentioned to you came up It's called "Two Mothers" and is on You Tube.

I've devoted this whole day to crocheting -- got a shipment of yarn from Herrschner's yesterday -- gorgeous colors. I donate most of the afghans I make to Project Linus -- great group.

Enjoy your day --

Patty