Friday, February 3, 2023

Done



I made it through the bathroom remodel.  It took a couple of days longer than expected and I had to extend my trip.  I've gone through moderate temperatures, snow, and bitter cold.  I have lost track of time and it feels like I've been in Chicago forever.  It feels almost strange not to have a flow of men coming in and out.  At one time, there were four of them working in the bathroom at once and it's not a big room-- though at the time it was empty.  

It's been on my mind for so long and now it's done.  I am forever grateful to my neighbor for letting me use her shower, but it was very nice last night to take a shower here.  I tried to include a photo, but I'm using my MacBook and it's always a problem adding a photo.  So different on a PC.

And now it's February.  Just like that we're into the second month of the year.  Next week SENTENCED TO DEATH comes out.  It's the fourth Writer for Hire book and takes place where I currently am.  I'm sure Veronica Blackstone would appreciate the updated bathroom.

I read a happy article about Barnes & Noble the other day.  They are doing well and are going to open more bookstores.  The CEO is a booklover himself and has put books at the forefront of the stores.  They are getting rid of or have gotten rid of all the non book related stuff they were selling.  And instead of letting publishers pay fees to have prominent displays of books, the stores are going to cater to their individual clientele.  There are changes in how books will be organized and the aim seems to be for browsers to discover books they weren't necessarily looking for.

I certainly hope they open one of those bookstores near me.

I have just another day here before I head back to L.A..  I am relishing the peace before I am immersed in the drama at home.  


9 comments:

Patty said...

Good morning -- Hurray for the completed remodel!! It's always such a good feeling when something like that is done. Do you have other projects to do in your Chicago home?

Spring is here in Phoenix -- supposed to be 78 today. Trees are leafing out -- bougainvillea is starting to bloom. They are such gorgeous flowers but have wicked thorns -- I've snagged myself more than once.

I took a dozen blankets to Project Linus last Saturday -- finished a big granny square blanket yesterday -- a beautiful variegated yarn of pinks, yellow, pale green and white. So nice using a big skein of yarn and crocheting many rows without having to change colors.

I'm looking forward to Molly and the Tarzana Hookers next adventure -- hope she never runs out of murders to solve!!

Enjoy your weekend.

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty, I do have some other smaller things to take care, but mostly need to clear out stuff. Great that you donated all those blankets. I'm sure they will be appreciated.

Molly does seem to keep running into dead bodies.

I hope you have a nice weekend. I am heading back to SoCal with nicer weather and drama.

Patty said...

Good morning -- I was looking at some of your previous posts and came across one where you mentioned computers and what pains they can be -- shutting down, taking more time than doing something the old-fashioned way -- i.e. paying a bill instead of writing a check. And they also track everything you do -- absolutely no privacy left. I don't have a smart phone -- my "dumb phone," a little flip phone, suits me perfectly. Both my kids and grandkids have smart phones and those darn things know every move they make. And oh my gosh, having to be afraid that someone or something is going to steal your personal info. Way back in the mid 1950s, when my husband was in the Navy, his social security number was part of his address. Can you imagine your ss number being on every piece of mail you send or receive!! I know I'm old but life really was better in the good old days!! Many wonderful things happen over the years, but also lots of problems have been created.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Glad your remodel is finally complete and that you'll be returning home. It's chilly for here in LA but nothing like Chicago weather. The rain has stopped and I don't know if there will be any more this season, which is a shame.

And really glad to hear that B&N is doing well! I saw that information in an article too and am always happy when books are displayed in the stores.

chkntza said...

I'm glad everything went well with your bathroom. I'm excited about getting the new book. I'm also happy that Barnes & Noble will be opening new stores.

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty, It is crazy how much time and effort goes into trying not to be scammed these days. Whenever go back to Chicago, I think about the old days when the grocery store was only open late on Fridays and always closed on Sunday. I have an old round hat box with some hats of my mother's left from my mother. In those days, decorate hats and white gloves were what you wore when you went downtown.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I felt my whole body relax when I walked outside at the LAX to wait to be picked up. What a relief not to be bundled up. I was inside so much of he time in Chicago, it was really nice to take my coffee outside this morning and be bathed in sunlight.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, I thought the news about more Barnes & Nobles was great. It feels a little unreal to have the bathroom done, but good. And now SENTENCED TO DEATH will be out in the world.

Jim The Handyman said...

This is awesome. I really appreciate your braveness to write this article..fairfax bathroom remodeling. for more information please visit jimthehandyman.com. Thanks, admin for writing a cool article on bathroom remodeling. I'm waiting for your next article. Thank you