Friday, December 29, 2023

Welcome 2024

 So 2023 is about to bite the dust.  I tried to think over past year, but everything from July on seems to be a blur.  A few moments stood out.  My son's birthday in August.  Jakey's first day of first grade also in August.  September and fall officially began.  October was a trip to Chicago and Indiana and then it was Halloween.

By November the days were really getting shorter, particularly after the time changed back.  We took Jakey on a road trip to Vegas.  Thanksgiving was only memorable because one of us was sick and we had to cancel our plans to go to a friend's house for dinner.  I was left with making something last minute and definitely not traditional.

I don't know what happened to December.  One minute it was the first and then suddenly Christmas was in a few days.  And now in a couple of days I have to get used to writing 2024 on checks.

We have hit the shortest day of the year and already there are added minutes of daylight.  As somebody posted on Facebook, the Valentine's Day version's of peanut butter cups will be in the stores any day to replace the Christmas version of peanut butter cups that were just half off.

I hope the new year brings more peace.  Sadly peace on earth and good will toward man seemed in short supply this Christmas.

As I am finishing up the rewrite of KNOT DEAD, AGAIN, I'm already thinking ahead to the new series and the next Crochet Mystery.  Time never stands still.

Happy New Year!

6 comments:

Patty Jenkins said...

Good morning -- It is hard to believe 2023 is almost over -- it's been a good year for me -- quite quiet, which is the way I like it -- no drama!! You mentioned having to get used to writing 2024 on checks -- I wrote a check yesterday for the first time in two years!! I was surprised when I looked at the date of the last check.

I hope your Christmas was a good one, The family came here for breakfast -- we had such a good time together. I made a bacon and egg casserole, coffee cake, waffles and fresh fruit. Several years ago, a friend gave me a quick and easy recipe for a fruit dip -- brown sugar mixed into sour cream -- absolutely delicious. It was also yummy as a spread on waffles, then topped with fruit.

Do you have a tentative publication date for "Knot Dead, Again"? You said there probably won't be anymore "Writer for Hire" books. I thought of an idea -- Molly and Mason go to Chicago for one of Mason's cases -- he has a meeting with Ben to get information and later meets with Veronica, also. The four of them become friends -- Veronica and Ben move to Tarzana -- Ben works with Mason -- Veronica teaches at the college and, of course, becomes a member of the Tarzana Hookers.

I'm making a good dent in my yarn stash -- loving the Red Heart "Stripes" yarn -- it works up beautifully just doing rows of double crochet. I usually only work on one project at a time but decided that a good idea would be to use up leftover yarn right away by working it into a granny stripe blanket -- I do a few rows black, then whatever color leftover yarn. My son has already claimed it as his own -- he likes the mix of colors.

Enjoy the last few days of 2023 -- and Happy New Year!!

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty,
Your Christmas breakfast sounds delicious. I have used sour cream and brown sugar on strawberries, but I like your dip idea. I will keep your idea for Veronica and Ben in mind. It's a fun idea to have characters from different series meet.

Knot Dead, Again will probably come out in February or March. I will know more once I turn it in.

It's nice that your son called dibs on the blanket. There is noting more flattering than having family want something that you made.

Happy New Year to you!

Linda O. Johnston said...

Sounds like you had a good 2023, Betty. I hope 2024 is even better for you!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, I wish the best for the new year for you! The best news is that we are both still here and are putting out books.

chkntza said...

Happy New Year to all!

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, The same to you!