Friday, January 12, 2024

Moving On

 I finally typed The End for KNOT DEAD, AGAIN! and sent it off to my editor.  I will get the edits in February and go through the manuscript again.  At the end of working on it, I was too close to everything to know if it made sense.  And because I kept going back and forth in the manuscript, it was confusing about if I had already said something.  By February, I will have enough distance to see everything better.

I was going to take off a few days from writing, so I could clean up the mess of papers around my computer and clear my head.  But I couldn't keep myself from thinking about the characters in the next book I'm going to work on.  I already have the first 50 pages and synopsis from the  proposal I wrote.  I know who the characters are and a lot about the location.  

And then there's Toby.  He's 15 and has Down Syndrome.  I'm not sure where he came from, but he literally popped into my mind.  He works with his mother in her bakery, has a strong spirit and talent at making bread and other bakery items.

Since I don't know anyone with Down Syndrome and I wanted to get it right with Toby-- not clinical, but also not unrealistic. I started doing research about what was possible for someone who has it.  Right now I'm reading a book about a woman whose second son has it.  So far it is all about him as a baby and a lot about her dealing with the situation.  I also read an article about a doctor in a small town who started a bakery for his daughter who has Down's to work in.  There was a Hallmark movie, too about a girl  who has Down's but is an accomplished artist.  Many of the actors also had Down's.  I read an interview with the girl who starred and learned from that.

So far, I have gotten some of the papers away from my computer.  Hint, they are so high, they block part of the screen.  But I know the room won't even be close to pristine before I got back to working on the book.  I think the title will probably  change.  I called it CLASSY YARNS AND TEA FOR YOU for the proposal and the series is called Crochet and Crumpets.  And guess who will be making those crumpets.

The main character Annie Sara Hart is a crochet artist who makes mostly toys, and things like baskets and pots of flowers.  I have already been doing some of that myself though so far just small creatures and the things that came with my advent calendar.  It is a lot different than working on an afghan.  It captures all my attention and it's working small and three dimensional rather than flat.  It's a challenge and exciting to see whatever I'm making come to life.

I know I have to face it that I am never going to be one of those people who has everything neatly stacked.  When things are in a bit of chaos, I know where everything is.  As soon as I start with putting things away, I lose track of them.

I don't think I will get through the day with reading over what I already have.  I like all the characters and can't wait to spend time with them again.

8 comments:

Patty Jenkins said...

Good morning -- January is always the month to start straightening and getting things in order. I tend to be very minimalistic so don't have a lot of "stuff" around except for my shelves and bins of yarn -- I did go through them and organize a bit more by color and type of yarn. Afghans will always be my favorite thing to make -- an occasional scarf or hat. I've made a few toy figures but really didn't enjoy doing it.

I used to babysit a little boy who had Down syndrome -- he was incredibly loving and wanted to be sitting on my lap or hugging and kissing me all the time. He, sadly, died at a young age. Our nurse practitioner had a Down syndrome child -- an adult who was married to a girl with other problems. They were capable of living on their own, near family, and both worked at a grocery store. He loved doing picture puzzles -- the "bowl of popcorn" kind that would have taken me ages to figure out -- he could whiz through them.

My son and I saw "The Boys in the Boat" movie -- one of the best we've seen in ages. I wanted to stand up and cheer!! I had a friend who loved to go out on the lake in her canoe -- I went with her once and tried to row -- not easy!! I tended to keep us going in a circle!! She'd tell me what to do and I thought I was doing it but it wasn't working for me.

It's 34 degrees this morning -- coldest so far. There's a wall on each side of my patio which shelters my plants so they are fairly well protected. I'm already planning where I can put another planter -- I do love my plants.

Enjoy your day, your crocheting and your writing.

Linda D Osborn said...

There is a tremendous difference in Downs kids. I had a neighbor boy who was polite and friendly--but the parents would often go away for the day and lock him outside. He would wander around the area, knocking on someone's door if he needed a drink or the bathroom. He died at around 20, and several of us had his cowboy boots and hat covered in flowers for the funeral.
By contrast a little girl had an older brother on my sons swim team. She screamed and fought her mother. tried to get in the pool, did plenty of swearing. The poor brother was so embarrassed, but she came to every meet. Mother finally said she guessed they spoiled her "a little"
it will be a fascinating subject to investigate

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty, thanks for telling me about your experience with people with Down Syndrome. I read an interesting article yesterday that pointed out how things have changed for them. They are living longer and expectations of their abilities has changed.

The Boys in the Boat sounds great.I love movies that make you feel that way.

My marigold plant died, but my tomato plant seems to be growing anew above the dead looking part. There are even some blossoms. Pansies don't have flowers, but the stems are still there.

I got rid of the piles of papers that were blocking my computer. It's nice having a clear view.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda Osborn, thanks for telling me about your experience. I have noticed too that the people with Down Syndrome are different. What has amazed me the most is how much has changed. The book I'm reading talks about early intervention that can help them develop. The girl who made a fuss and swore kind of goes against the image that they all have sweet personalities.

Like everybody else, each of them is an individual.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Congrats on finishing your manuscript, Betty. And it's enjoyable to hear about your upcoming characters and how you research them.

I can identify with your need for chaos!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda Johnston, I'm always glad to hear that I'm not the only chaos person!

chkntza said...

At a restaurant once a long time ago an actress who had Down's came up to my table to introduce herself. I recognized her from seeing her on a tv show. She asked for a paper so she could give me her autograph. I still have that paper and I treasure it.
I'm excited about your new book.

Anonymous said...

But, alas! O poor, poor Yorick!! We all
gotta 'move-on' after the curtain falls,
don't we? I hope you're going to be
Upstairs with our effusive epiphany
for the impossible length N breadth
of the indelible eternity. HowDgitUp?
Follow me to the Wedding Feast:
● NOPEcantELOPE.blogspot.com ●
Cya soon, miss adorable girl...