Friday, January 26, 2024

Pens and Ink

 It feels like it has been gloomy here forever.  Not a lot of rain, but day after day of cloudy skies.  So much moisture in the air that the dirt in my pots of pansies are squishy with water.  A blossom appeared, but looks a little exhausted from all the wet.

This morning started out that way with fog and gloom.  But then the sun came out and the sky cleared.  There were sunny spots in the yard and I went outside to hang up some laundry.  (Yes, I air dry my clothes) and the lure of the sun was too much and I abandoned the laundry and pulled a chair into a sunny spot.  It's been cold here too, so being able to let the sun light and its warmth flow over me was wonderful.  I had things to do, but could not let go of the perfect moment.  Then reality  cut in and I got up and finished with the laundry and went inside to my computer.

I have been using a yellow pad and pen recently for the new book.  There is something so different about writing by hand.  I seem to tap into the story from a different angle.  I had an idea what was going to happen, but then there was a detour as a character showed a different side of herself.  Now, I will put all that I wrote into the computer, rewriting as I go.  Handwriting flows nicely, but still there are things that I realize don't work when I give it another look.

Costco had a package with an assortment of different kinds of pens on sale and I couldn't resist.  I used to be set on using a certain kind of Sharpy pen that didn't have a strong smell and didn't bleed through paper, but then they changed the pens. They still don't smell, but I noticed that they were kind of going through the paper.  I had a wooden pen from Asilomar, the hotel and conference center that I based Vista Del Mar on and started using it. The original ink thing ran out and I ordered refills.  They were very cheap and now  know why.  They aren't very good and don't last. So, I decided to switch over to the new pens I just bought.

The ball point was fine and I realized all my wanting a special pen was irrelevant.  The set came with two fountain pens that are not refillable.  I tried one of those and it was a whole other experience.  Not good for working on a manuscript because I was too focused on the pen and what an effort it was to use.  It did look nice, though.  I remember fountain pens from the old-old days before there were even cartridges.  The ink bottles with the little spot at the top where you dipped the pen and did something (I don't remember what) to suck in the ink.  I remember hearing that a fountain pen was very personal and that the nib somehow adjusted to the owners handwriting.

No chance of that happening with the two that came in the set as I'm sure they'll be out of ink before they have a chance to get used to my handwriting.  Fountain pens remind me of my high school French teacher.  I was awed by her since she and her husband wrote Mr. Popper's Penguins.  Unfortunately, she didn't feel the same about me.  When I did my homework in peacock blue ink (with a fountain pen), she said she wasn't allowed to use it   (I assume she meant when she was young) and  I couldn't use it either.  Then she said she had seen people slant their handwriting to the left, and to the right, and straight up and down, but she had never seen anybody (until me) who did all three in one word.

She might have gotten me to stop using the peacock blue ink, but it was a lost cause with my handwriting.

10 comments:

Patty Jenkins said...

Good morning -- Weather here has been the same as yours -- dreary and gray. Yesterday there were a few glimpses of bright sun but still chilly.

I remember fountain pens -- they dd write smoothly and somehow looked more elegant than ball point pen writing. There was a little lever on the side of the pen to flip and suck ink in. And, of course, they sometimes leaked -- that made a big mess. I hated writing class -- rows of making loops and push, pull, push, pull. My handwriting isn't the best -- my daughter's is beautiful -- looks like calligraphy. My son's looks like something from a prehistoric cave wall!!

Every year there are ducks that take residence in the swimming pool for a couple of months -- they flew in yesterday. I call them Ducky Duddle, Dudley and Darlene. Do you know the song about Ducky Duddle, wading in a puddle? My daughter and I won a prize at a baby shower because we were the only ones who knew it. Last year, eight baby ducklings appeared -- so cute.

I'm loving the blankets made with the stripes and speckles yarn. Tomorrow is Project Linus drop-off day -- I have a nice stash to donate.

Enjoy your day -- and any sunshine you can find.

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty,
Sorry you have had the grays too. We have sun this morning and I notice how different it makes me feel. I do remember fountain pens leaking. When the cartridges came out, it was a big deal.

How neat that you have duck residents. No, I am not familiar with that song. How wonderful that you made all those blankets to give away. I can just imagine how much they are appreciated-- not just for the warmth, but the fact that someone made it for them.

I'm to catch some rays today. Get it while I can since it's supposed to be cloudy again tomorrow.

Linda O. Johnston said...

How fun that you're exploring different kinds of pens, Betty. I prefer the regular, every day kind since they seem to work with my handwriting. Or at least I can usually read what I write! I've never gotten along well with Sharpies.
And it remains chilly here, at the other side of the Valley, and, even with the rain over, the ground is wet in the morning, thanks to fog and dew and whatever.

Patty Jenkins said...

A little Ducky Duddle went wading in a puddle,
Went wading in a puddle quite small.

Said he "It doesn't matter, how much I splash and splatter,
I'm only a ducky after all."

You mentioning you air dry your clothes reminded me of my grandmother long ago -- she always hung the sheets on the outside lines and any "unmentionables" on the lines between -- couldn't have the neighbors seeing underwear!!

Sally Morrison said...

I'm sad that cursive is not taught in schools anymore. I used to love practicing penmanship and I remember in my pre-teen years experimenting with little hearts and such. I too, have gotten away from handwriting over the years. But every once in a while I will hand write a note to someone. It is definitely a lost art.

I love peacock blue though I never used a fountain pen.

Happy weekend. Hope there is sunshine ahead for everyone.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda,
The key is that you can read your own handwriting. Nothing else really matters. It is sunny and windy here across the Valley from you. Even though I had to dodge a falling palm frond, loved sitting outside with my coffee this morning.

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty,
Funny story about your grandmother's laundry. It's windy and sunny here today. Perfect for drying laundry outside.

Betty Hechtman said...

Sally,
I can't imagine not knowing cursive writing. Penmanship is a lost art. I never got into the hearts as a dot over an i. But I do love to doddle hearts and other shapes.

chkntza said...

My favorite pen is an old fashioned BIC. Like the lighter. When I write with other pens my handwriting is not so good. When I was in high school I loved experimenting with different pens in different colors. I also liked to write with my letters slanting right and left and straight up.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, I noticed that my handwriting is clearer when I use pens that have a little resistance. It's probably why the BIC pens work or you. The slicker ones are easier to write with, but I found that it was harder to read what I'd written. I still like playing with pens and ink colors. It sounds as if you had more control of your handwriting than I did. All the different directions just sort of happened.