Friday, January 19, 2024

Random Hearts

 I am happily at work on CLASSY YARNS AND TEA FOR YOU, the first of the Crochet and Crumpet series.  I'm not sure the title will stay.  It might be too long.  While I'm writing it, I'm also working on making little crochet projects.  They are fun and the end is in sight when I start one.  I am making a point of seeing each one through to the end before starting something else.

I'm not sure if it's true of others, but I have an unfortunate habit of starting a big project and then, setting it aside while I start something else and so on and so on.  I have many unfinished projects hanging around and I didn't want it to happen with the things I am making now.  My current project is a small pot with a sunflower in it.  I am working on the petals now, so the end is in sight.  I will post a picture when it's done.

It came as part of  a kit to make little flower pots with other kinds of flowers. I'm not sure I will get to all of those before I make something else.  I chose to make the sunflower one first because I love sunflowers.  They seem like the smile of flowers.  Or at least, they make me smile.

I saw a post on Facebook about someone finding a crocheted square in a bathroom with a note attached.  It was a random gift left by an anonymous person meant to brighten the finder's day.  Shortly after that I read a piece in a crochet magazine about people leaving crocheted hearts with a card attached with a message meant to cheer someone up.  I love the idea.  Something I would like to do in life and put in the next Molly book.  

There was a trend awhile ago with people leaving decorated rocks around.  You were supposed to pass it on .  There might have been a website or email address to say where it was found.  I am afraid the rock I found never went any further.

I like the mystery crochet pieces so much better.  It's like people getting a reassuring message from the universe. But of course, if my character Adele does it, there will be more to the story.


14 comments:

Patty Jenkins said...

Good morning -- Love your comment about sunflowers being the smile of flowers. Years ago, when my kids were little, we planted a circle of giant sunflowers, leaving a "doorway," pulled the tops together and had a sort-of sunflower hut. It was so cute. My husband and I were traveling through Kansas where there are acres of sunflowers -- stopped at a roadside park for lunch and sat there for an hour or more, watching the sunflowers move with the sun.

A friend of mine in California did the painted rock thing -- she got Facebook comments from North Carolina and Vermont. She's one of those people who do everything perfectly -- her rocks were pieces of art. I like the idea of leaving crocheted squares -- I'd rather leave them than sew them together!!

I'm looking forward to the Crochet and Crumpet series and, of course, the next Molly book. I've never had a crumpet -- love English muffins, toasted and spread with orange marmalade.

I'm loving the Red Heart "Stripes" yarn -- it makes a beautiful afghan doing nothing but rows of double crochet. I'm using the Cool Stripe now which is shades of blues and greens. Doing eight rows of double crochet, alternating with four rows of single -- will end with the rows of doubles, then do a border of singles.

Enjoy your flower making, your writing and whatever else you enjoy.


Linda D Osborn said...

I was roaming around the Amazon book dept., and saw the first Molly book. They offered a preview of the first few chapters, so of course I had to read them. Molly is getting along with Barry pretty well, but trouble is on the way and she will soon meet Mason.
I now have 4 "pinchy winchy's" around the house. they are so incredibly handy. I am trying so hard to get out of this wheelchair, but meanwhile have to find little helpers.
Keep writing...I now have to get out my Molly set and read them all again.

Linda O. Johnston said...

Saw a segment on TV this morning that made me think of you and your crocheting, Betty. A woman on an airplane saw a young girl watching her crochet, apparently fascinated, so she crocheted a hat for that girl that she gave her as they landed!

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty, I have to get a look at that Red Heart yarn. It sounds great.

How interesting that our friend heard from such different places. I guess the rock thing was a little like putting a note in a bottle and sending it off in the ocean.

I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's nearby, but they sell crumpets. They are sort of like English muffins, but you don't split them an they have a lot of little holes on one side that are good for letting melted butter get soaked up. I have to check again, but I think they are made on a gribble.

The sunflower in a pot is almost finished. I kept thinking it was going to be so difficult, but actually the pattern that came with the kit is quite good.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda Osborn, I'm sorry you are stuck in the wheel chair. Pinchy winchys come in handy. I am honored that you enjoyed the books enough to want to reread them. I am already thinking about the next Molly book.

The big news here is that Jakey lost his first tooth yesterday at lunch. He thinks the tooth fairy is going to leave him a hundred bucks so he can take us all to Hawaii. LOL!

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda Johnston, I love that story! Thanks for sharing it.

Sally Morrison said...

A fiber arts friend of mine passed away just before Christmas. Her name was Shirley and she was 93. Active until the last two weeks of her life. Shirley was a gifted knitter. She made the most beautiful baby sweaters. She could churn one out in a couple days. All of her kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids had Grandma Shirley sweaters.

Her family gave our fiber arts group all of her yarn. Since I have a huge stash of my own I only took a skein. I think I'm going to crochet some Shirley squares and leave them random places with a cheery note in her memory.

Thanks for the idea. Have a great weekend!

Betty Hechtman said...

Sally, what a lovely idea. Such a nice tribute to Shirley.

Patty Jenkins said...

There is a Trader Joe's near here -- I'll check for crumpets.

Last night, I was merrily crocheting away and texting with my kids -- I wasn't paying close enough attention to the number of rows I'd crocheted and suddenly realized I'd gone beyond the eight rows of double crochet, Had to rip out five rows!!

Another yarn I'm loving is Red Heart "Speckle" -- it comes in 10 oz. skeins -- I have the White, which has multi-colored speckles, Bubblegum, which is pinks, and the Light Blue. Soft and works up beautifully. I used the blue for a moss stitch blanket,

Rain forecast for here -- perfect day to stay in and correct my crocheting boo boo!!

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty, I'll check out that yarn. Rain here too. Enjoy staying in.

chkntza said...

I have five crochet and knitting projects going at one time. It takes me forever to finish but I love doing it. It's funny - when I worked I got a lot more done. Now that I'm retired it takes forever. I'm looking forward to the new books too. I love that Jakey wants to use his tooth money to go to Hawaii. That is so cute.

marjenann said...

Looking forward to your new series! You are my personal exercise coach! Can’t workout without your amazing characters in my ear! Let’s not forget about Molly!

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, I think when you have limited time to do something, you get going on it taster. But the main thing is that you enjoy working that way. I have a whole bin of projects that need to be finished.

I do enjoy hearing what Jakey has to say.

Betty Hechtman said...

Marjenaan, I am glad to be your exercise coach. I haven't forgotten about Molly. Already thinking about the next book.