Friday, January 5, 2024

Words

 It started with me trying to make an online payment.  The website listed on the bill appeared to have a small i in it.  When I typed it in, I got some weird message about my browser sensing a security issue.  So, I tried another browser and this time a message popped up asking to allow something.  Since I knew it was a legit website since it appeared on the bill.  I hit allow.

Yikes!  Suddenly all these things appeared on my screen saying a virus had been detected on my computer.  I remembered that it was disaster to click on anything like that, so I turned off my computer.  But when I turned it back on, there was a constant flow of boxes showing up in the corner, saying that someone in Russia had signed on to my computer and more about a virus detected.  By now, I was calm enough to look at the boxes and see the fake sounding website and the fuzziness of the graphics.  I realized it was all bogus and that it had come from the allow thing I had clicked on.

I also realized that  what I had taken as a small i in the web address, was actually an l.  It was an optical illusion that there was a dot.  I got to the right website, but the parade of threatening graphics still kept popping up, constantly.

I thought of these things that kept appearing as pop up ads and did searches on how to get rid of them.  It was only after going through all kinds of attempts that didn't get rid of them, I realized the problem was semantics.

I spend my days with words and their meanings.  I wonder about what things are called, like the name for the strand of chain stitches in the garland pattern for the book I'm working on.  Sometimes finding the correct term is impossible, like that strand of stitches. which apparently doesn't have a name. .  In this world where more and more is online instead of speaking to someone who could elicit  what exactly you are looking for, you are left on your own to find the right words.

It was only after a lot of wasted time that I realized all those threatening boxes of graphics were actually notifications and not pop up ads.  And then I was finally able to get them to stop showing up.

11 comments:

Patty Jenkins said...

Good morning -- Wow, that's a scary thing to have happen. I have a Mac and was told to hit the escape button, which, thank goodness, got rid of the scam notices. It's hard to know nowadays what is legit and what isn't.

It's cold here this morning -- the clubhouse roof looks frosty. A perfect day to stay in and do a lot of crocheting, though I do that no matter the weather!!

I reread the first crochet mystery book -- it was really fun, now that I know more about the characters. I could picture Adele on her high horse about crocheting with the knitters. A mention was made about Dinah teaching a writer's workshop at the bookstore -- perfect for Veronica if she and Ben move to Tarzana from Chicago. I am going to reread a few more of the series, waiting for the new one to come out.

I made a meatloaf yesterday -- it was so good. The recipe I use has a bit of sage in it and I think that amps up the flavor. A cold meatloaf sandwich is a perfect lunch.

I watched the "Golden Bachelor" wedding on tv last night -- what could and should have been done in no more than an hour went on for two hours. Too much extra stuff thrown in for my taste. I wonder how long marriages that happen after the "Bachelor" and "Bachelorette" shows last.

Enjoy your day --



Betty Hechtman said...

Patty,
I have a desk top PC and a Mac laptop. Good to know about the escape button. It's love/hate with all the computer stuff. And it is hard to know what's a scam.

Cold here as well. Last night when I used my air fryer it made the kitchen windows steam up. Still nothing like back east.

I am looking forward to writing the next crochet mystery. I have been thinking of your idea of having Veronica and Ben show up in one of the books.

When I ate meat, I loved meat loaf sandwiches.

I couldn't watch the Golden Bachelor wedding. I saw a few minutes here and there of the original show and the women all seemed so desperate. Then I read what a fraud Gerry is.

Good question how long those marriages last.

Enjoy your crocheting!

Patty Jenkins said...

Is your next book a crochet mystery or a yarn retreat?

Linda O. Johnston said...

That really sounds unnerving, Betty. Glad you finally got it figured out,

Sally Morrison said...

I love and hate technology. Staying calm is the key and then calling for professional help. As a small business owners we have a contract with the Geek Squad at Best Buy. It has saved us numerous times.

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty, it's a yarn retreat book.

Betty Hechtman said...

Linda, it was definitely unnerving. Even when I new the "notifications" were bogus, seeing the threatening language every few minutes was getting too me.

Betty Hechtman said...

Sally, I arranged so everything is saved on Dropbox. I did it just at the right time. Shortly after it, my computer crashed big time. I didn't loose anything. It's good to know about the Geek Squad.

Patty Jenkins said...

Good Sunday morning -- I just came across the cutest quick and easy pattern for a crocheted bookmark that would be perfect for the Tarzana Hookers to teach newbies. It's at daisycottagedesigns.com -- called the Dainty Daisy Bookmark. I have a book to send to my daughter and I'm going to send one of these along with it.

Enjoy your week.

Betty Hechtman said...

Thanks Patty. I will check it out.

chkntza said...

When I got my first computer and was just learning a message appeared that my computer had bugs and pictures of bugs were running all over the screen. Scared me half to death. I'm glad you figured you how to solve the problem.