Wednesday, February 28, 2024

But Not The End of February

             Three years out of four, this would be the last day of February. But as I’m sure you know, this is Leap Year. And so tomorrow, February 29, is this month’s last day.

             I’m still writing. I’m still plotting. Not sure what comes next but I’m always working on it.

           And I was tempted to work with our younger pup Roxie so she could earn an official Fetch title. I learned about it at a meeting of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club of Southern California where a speaker talked about the new AKC Fetch program. In it, your dog can earn one of four titles in a non-competitive test where they’re supposed to follow the rules and chase after a ball or toy around certain boxes, although they’re supposed to wait till the ball or toy reaches the ground before going after it and bringing it back. We did try to get Roxie, whose favorite game is retrieving a toy, to follow the rules, but so far she still wants to do fetch her way—like not waiting for the toy to rest on the ground. But I’d love to use this in a book!

             Hmmm. My mind is plotting. As usual.

4 comments:

Patty said...

Good morning -- An extra day to plot and write -- I'm sure you'll come up with something fantastic!!

The Fetch program sounds like fun. The only trick I tried to get my little Janny to do was flip on command. She started, on her own, doing a backward flip when I'd make an arc of water with the hose -- I kept saying "Flip" as she did it but she'd never do it without the water. I love watching dog obedience trials on tv -- some of the dogs are amazing.

As always, I'm doing a lot of crocheting. Finished a pretty soft aqua and white baby blanket last night -- next on the agenda is one using variegated yarn in shades of blue and purple. My daughter sent me a picture of a crazy-looking character that is crocheted with a pocket in front -- she and another teacher friend would like to have a couple each so I may, or may not, see if I can make them. I really don't enjoy crocheting "creatures." Blankets, scarves, shawls are my favorite projects.

Enjoy your day -- hope Roxie cooperates with the fetch program.

Sally Morrison said...

I have a friend that celebrates Leap year by making a cake for her family. I don't have any traditions but for some reason I always think it is kind of a fun day.

Have a great Leap Year Day!

Linda O. Johnston said...

My dogs mostly train me, Patty, although the Fetch program sounded feasible to teach Roxie. Once again, though, she's in charge.

Have fun with your crocheting!

Linda O. Johnston said...

I don't have any Leap Year traditions either, Sally, but I always enjoy hearing others', including superstitions. Enjoy your Leap Year Day too!