Friday, February 23, 2024

Let the Sunshine In

 It's easy to take the sun for granted in Southern California. It seems like a permanent fixture most of the time.  But all it takes is a few days of rain for it to be missed.  This winter seems to have have had a lot of cloudy days, too.  

So I have welcomed the last two days of sun in the morning.  It feels like the world is smiling.  I just want to go outside and bask in it, but the chairs are all still too wet from the last rain.  And I have work to do.

At least, I didn't have  to turn on the lamps in my writing room and the light coming in through the window was enough. Sun is reflecting off the leaves of the lime tree instead of rain drops bending them down.

I got back the edits on the next Yarn Retreat book.  My editor was happy with the book and most of the changes are just corrections from typos and things like missing words.

It is hard to pull myself away from working on CLASSY YARNS and I have decided to finish the draft of it and then work on the edits of KNOT DEAD AGAIN.  I have the end of CLASSY YARNS mapped out, so finishing the daft should go quick.  I'm hoping that by Monday, I'll be working on KNOT DEAD AGAIN.  We are supposed to get more rain on Monday which is the perfect backdrop for working on the Yarn Retreat book since it takes place in the midst of a catastrophic rain storm.  

It's an eerie feeling to see pictures of what I had been making up in my head.  There have been rock slides blocking roads.  Mud and debris blocking other roads.  Flooded streets making travel impossible.  Unfortunately, the real problems are harder to deal with than writing a solution of heavy equipment coming in to take care of everything.

Tulips are popping up at Trader Joe's. The days are getting longer Spring is in the air.

 

10 comments:

Patty Jenkins said...

Good morning -- The weather in sunny California has been horrible -- you've not mentioned any specific problems at your house so hope all is well. It is gorgeous here -- high 70s, bright blue sky, puffy white clouds. Should be this way until mid-June, then the usual heat will set it.

My son and I went to the garden department at Home Depot a couple days ago -- got a planter I needed for an arrangement on my patio and also a few plants. They were unloading a truckload as we arrived so there were many fresh, lovely things. Oh, the hyacinths -- huge trays of gorgeous purples and pinks. I got a few -- haven't had them here before so doubt they will do well over the summer but at least they are gorgeous now.

I'm looking forward to your next book. A friend gave me a novel called "Miss Buncle's Book" by D.E. Stevenson -- set in a little English town. It was a fun read.

The Project Linus coordinator has asked for a lot of baby blankets to be donated before summer as a group that works with very young children with a specific disease will be meeting here and she's pledged blankets to them. I'm happy to do that -- baby blankets are my favorite things to make. The big granny square blanket is probably the most requested of all the blankets I make -- it works up quickly and looks pretty in various color combinations. I should be able to make a big dent in my stash.

Enjoy your day, your writing and the sunshine.

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty, the rain didn't make any lasting problems at my house. The areas that flood drain away as soon as the rain stops.

I love hyacinths too, but they seem to bloom in the spring and then stay dormant until the next year. The weird little one I mentioned before is struggling to put out a bloom. It has just a few of the blossom. It makes me happy to look at it. It's so amazing how that bulb knows its time to bloom.

I am glad you are looking forward to more of Casey's adventures. I expect that I will see a cover soon and have a date when it will be released.

I bet those baby blankets are well received and carry your kind hearted vibe with them. I also love the giant granny square throws and the way you can work with color. I haven't made one in a while, maybe now is a good time to start one.

This must be the best time of year for your weather. Enjoy it before the heat comes.

Patty Jenkins said...

Have you ever made a granny rectangle -- the round-and-round version? I like the traditional square granny for a baby blanket but the rectangle is great for older children, including my 63-year-old son!! I was making one which was intended for Project Linus but he said he really liked it so I made it big enough that he can cover himself. He's been involved with my crocheting for many years -- when he was just a little guy, he'd help match dye lots of yarn. He was at a coffee shop and two women were crocheting -- he mentioned it and they were so glad he knew they were crocheting -- they said so many people think they are knitting. Adele would be horrified!!

Lawn people are here with their 747 leaf blowers -- so loud!! Looks good when they are done but it's a pain in the process.

Enjoy the rest of the day and the weekend --

Sally Morrison said...

I feel the same way when the sun doesn't shine in Florida. I lived in Chicago for so many years and didn't realize all the gray days we endured. Moving to Florida has spoiled me and I expect sunshine every day. I hope the weather calms down for everyone.

I love hearing about your new books and I'm looking forward to their publications. Have a great weekend.

Betty Hechtman said...

Patty, how do you turn the granny square into a rectangle. It's nice that your son supports your crocheting.

Betty Hechtman said...

Sally, I definitely remember bleak gray skies in Chicago. Sunshine really does lift your spirit. The weather does seem to be extreme all over. It's nice to be able to talk about what I'm working on in the blog.

chkntza said...

I'm excited for your new books to come out. I love hearing about all of Patty's afghans. She is so inspiring. I am working on a round and round crochet granny square afghan. I got the pattern from the man that writes the crochet crowd. His name is Mikey. The yarn is a variegated blue. I wanted to buy a hyacinth at Trader Joe's but the flowers were all jammed into the pot and I couldn't get one out. Have a great week!

chkntza said...

I just finished reading Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus. I am watching the show on Apple TV and I enjoyed the book very much.

Betty Hechtman said...

Chkntza, your crochet project sounds interesting and similar to the big granny square that Patty mentioned. Varigated yarn is great. You get a mixture of colors without the hassle of changing yarn. Did you mean the cut hyacinths. They are pretty, but go from smelling wonderful to getting a slimy smell quite quickly.
I'll have to check out Lessons in Chemistry. Thanks for the suggestion.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I thought yesterday was a rain-free day and even had my exercise program in the morning, Betty--but it unexpectedly rained for a while in the afternoon. And more is expected later this week. Oh, well. We need it. But not in great quantities all at once.