Friday, August 21, 2026

Still August

 Now that it's the second week of school, life has returned to a more normal pattern.  No more feeling like I was living in frat house where everybody was up all night. While I enjoyed some of the serendipity days where we took off on day trips, a regular schedule feels good.

After the year feeling like it rushed by, August seems to be lingering.  That's okay.   I like having a slow down of time for a change.  I am trying to get as much of the Molly book written by the end of the month when I have to let the next Crochet and Crumpet book move ahead of it.  

The area in Indiana where it takes place was on my mind this week.  There was a terrible storm with tornadoes that did a lot of damage in the area.   The storm did a lot of damage in Chicago.  There were tornadoes there as well.  The whole summer has been difficult there.  I get a local online newspaper from Chicago and I read how so many summer festivals were ruined by weather.  At one point, it rained for seven days straight.   

The next Crochet and Crumpet book takes place in the fall around Halloween.  It will be the first fall weather with falling leaves that  Annie Sara and Gray experience since they both  have only lived in Southern California.  I am looking forward to working on it and immersing myself in all the fall colors and crisper weather.  I had called the book, Falling Leaves as in tea leaves and tree leaves, but I need another title.  This publisher isn't into punny titles, so maybe I'll go for something like Murder Among the Falling Leaves.

Back to real life, Kitten's eye is not completely back to normal, but it seems better. Everything else about her seems normal so we are still letting things be.  

I'm still working on the crocheted wave pattern blanket.  I feel like I should call it the blanket that keeps me calm.   I have no problem unraveling when I make a mistake since it is all about the physical working with the yarn and hook as opposed to finishing the project. 

1 comment:

Patty said...

Good morning -- I agree -- August seems to be going by rather slowly. The summer has been hot -- some really blistering days -- but not too bad. The monsoon season has been rather skimpy -- just a couple heavy rains.

I'm looking forward to next Tuesday when "Danger Looms" arrives. My project at the moment is a horizontal stripe granny blanket, using an ombre yarn called True Blue -- shades of blue ranging from sky blue to a deep navy. I usually only work on one project at a time but I'm also making a baby blanket for a friend of my son -- the baby isn't due for a few months so I have plenty of time.

My condo shares a breezeway area with neighbors. One of them put some potted plants on a low wall that divides the area but, unfortunately, the plants were being neglected. I asked her if I could repot them and would water them when I watered mine. She said that would be great. I love having lots of greenery and hate to see it wilting. I have 22 potted plants on my patio -- I had 125 at my house in Texas.

I wish the Molly book was next in the queue but the Tea and Crumpet books are enjoyable, too. I look forward to all of them.

Enjoy your routine day, your writing, your crocheting.