Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Writing About Experienced Adventure

I did some writing this week. What a surprise! But I also had an experience that I might want to include in a story someday—or not. It was scary, and writing about it probably won’t be easy.

What is it? Well, some of you might consider me silly. Others might relate to me. But here it is: I rode on a roller coaster.

I hadn’t ridden on one in years, but this time some family members were with me and couldn’t wait, so I joined them. It’s a new roller coaster, but I won’t say which or where since I wouldn’t want anyone involved with it to think I’m insulting it. And I do suspect they’d be glad to hear how scared I was, since scaring riders was probably part of the design.

Well, I got on it, and when we started off I was nervous immediately and closed my eyes. I’m glad now that I did since they stayed closed through much of the fortunately not very long trip.

Yes, I could get into more detail here, but I think I’ll just lock the experience inside me and hopefully find a way to include it in a story someday!

Anything scary you’d like to write about?

7 comments:

Patty said...

I don't mind roller coasters but I am scared to go on a ferris wheel -- I picture the seat flipping over when I'm way up high and throwing me out into the air. The few times I've gone on one, I hardly moved for fear of flipping.

Linda O. Johnston said...

I consider being up high on a ferris wheel frightening too, Patty. My best rides at amusement parks stay on the ground!

Sally Morrison said...

At the age of 72 I'm finished with roller coasters but I use to love them and didn't find them scary at all. The last time I rode one I was 60 and it wasn't scary just a bit jarring. So I've stayed put on the ground waving at family members and friends. I live in Orlando and there is no end to roller coasters around here.
You are a brave woman!

Linda O. Johnston said...

Thanks, Sally. Not sure whether I'm brave or foolish. But at least we all were fine afterward, and a couple of family members went again!

Betty Hechtman said...

You are braver than me! I'm happy to go on the train at Disneyland.

Linda O. Johnston said...

It was definitely a one-time experience for me these days, Betty!

Miriam Lubet said...

You are brave. I didn't like the first roller coaster I went on as a kid and I have stayed off of them ever since.